Tuesday, February 05, 2008

No exclude.xml in Flash AS3

I've been working for R/GA for some time and things have been crazy. The workload has been fairly heavy with little breathing room so I haven't been posting as much.

Here's some thoughts, by others, on some issues I've run into myself. I'm working on the Nikeplus project and one of the big issues with this project is the size of the project. The project has a much longer life than most of the experiential sites I've been working on and requires maintenance as per our client's requests. This of course creates an immediate issue: things have to be coded fast and slim, which of course means there is much less time to solve problems in elegant ways since old code needs to keep running.

One of the issues you run into is requiring classes to be kept up-to-date. In AS2 classes are overwritten when a parent SWF loads a child SWF. This is because the classes are actually created in the _global space.

Here's an AS3 solution that I've recently found that's pretty interesting using the bridge pattern:
http://www.jessewarden.com/2007/09/no-excludexml-in-flash-cs3-for-as3-solution-via-bridge-pattern.html

No comments: